|The Todd House|
|Photo Gallery * Video/Audio Tour|
A great deal of interest through the years hasbeen focused upon Tabor's Todd House, built in 1853 by the Rev. John Todd, one of Tabor's founders loyal in the support of John Brown.
The Rev. John Todd's cellar was filled with boxes of clothing, ammunition, muskets, sabers, and twenty boxes of Sharp's rifles. A brass cannon was stored in his haymow and another on wheels in his wagon shed.
The public has been fascinated with the materials and workmanship that went into this house. It was built of native lumber, no pine being seen in the area until the arrival of the Northwestern Railroad at Council Bluffs.
The first siding was of cottonwood from a mill southwest of Bartlett. The frame for the first upright portion involved oak-hewn timbers carefully braced.
Samuel Adams made the sashes and doors of black walnut. Marcus Spees added the "L" in 1868, and William Shepherdson finished the upstairs rooms. The foundation was laid of stone by Origen Cummings some five or six years after the house was completed. A portion of an adobe wall, which several of the early houses contained, may still be seen in the cellar.
The house was repaired in 1890. Old siding was replaced with pine, and a porch in front was added as well as a bay window on the south. Also the "L" at the rear was lengthened six or eight feet.
The Tabor Historical Society has devoted its efforts to the Todd House maintenance and its museum. The Todd House is listed as a National Historical Site.
Links for more information on the underground railroad.